Monday, June 27, 2016

Sharing iftar and reflecting upon personal values

The spirit of Ramadan is palpable everywhere, says Pullyard, who is of half-Yemeni descent

Abu Dhabi: Despite completing her university education in Bulgaria, US citizen Heidi Pullyard has always made sure to spend Ramadan with her family regardless of the country they were residing in at the time.

To Heidi, 23, the Ramadan atmosphere is unparalleled, especially in GCC countries.


“You can literally feel the Ramadan spirit [in the air] when you step outside your house or drive down the road,” she said.


This is Heidi’s second Ramadan in the UAE.


“Ramadan is marked by iftar tents, busy mosques, warm wishes and greetings written on street decorations.


Additionally, Heidi enjoys the sense of community represented in the knowledge that a large segment of society in the UAE is fasting. However, for Pullyard, who is half-Yemeni, what stands out in Ramadan are the rituals of sharing meals with others in an atmosphere of pure conviviality.


“I personally love Umm Ali [Arabic dessert ] and only have it during Ramadan. After finishing my iftar meal I always have traditional Arabic coffee ‘gahwa’ with my mother and watch Ramadan series. Even though I do not completely understand Arabic, I feel a certain amount of bonding with my mother when we spend it together watching the shows,” she said.


Since starting her new job as an associate producer in broadcast media, Heidi has met many people with whom to share the essence of the month with. Her working hours neccesitate that she ends her fast in the presence of colleagues before heading home.


“Ramadan is always a an amazing time to reflect [upon one’s thoughts and deeds]. This year stands out for me because I have met many more people with whom I will be sharing my iftar. To me, Ramadan is about appreciating the people in your life,” she added.



 


Source:: Gulf News



Sharing iftar and reflecting upon personal values

‪#‎Dubai‬ ‪#‎MyDubai‬ ‪#‎DXBplanet‬ ‪#‎LoveDubai‬ ‪#‎UAE‬ #‏دبي‬

No comments:

Post a Comment